Saturday, September 29, 2007

Indian Summer

Apparently my bead block does not apply to the Oct. page. This is not the best of pics, but it will give you an idea where I'm going with this. I just started it last weekend and so far it seems to be going okay. I found this face in San Rafael several years ago and never found the right place for it until now. The addition of the stones made me think of the last warm days before cold weather takes hold. The leaves were a serendipitous thought about fall, but when I added them, it made me think of a feathered shield that an Indian brave might carry. The blank space on the left shows one of the leaves standing on end instead of laying flat as it should. I like making my pieces textural. Besides, it's a good excuse when your beads don't behave. LOL
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Ellen said...

This is very cool Arline - I'm pleased your bead block is over, there must have been something in the air lately, as I've been suffering from a similar block

Brenda said...

This piece is very cool.
The colors, the different shapes, very nice!

Acey said...

I love this page. The colors work perfectly and the pieces of stone are quite intriguing

artandtea said...

I love this piece and its beautiful fall colors. Yes, I can see how she looks like a warrior woman with a shield. Great job! -Karen

GraceBeading said...

She's beautiful Arline!

Timaree said...

Looks like a very detailed kokopeli figure to me. It looks really nice with the colors and textures.

Robin said...

Very appealing start to your October page... the figure seems to be hiding a baby...yes?

About your September block... May I be bold and offer a suggestion? What if you let go of trying to make the bottom portion of it representational... You've already achieved that in the upper 2/3 of the piece. Maybe you could just let the bottom third represent (in an abstract way) your feelings about this part of the world?

abeadlady said...

Robin, Very clever of you to see that protected child. My warrior woman will fight to let her child grow. Is she fighting the onset of winter or some unknown threat? I don't know yet.

Your suggestion about Sept. pushed a few buttons with me. I was so caught up in the representation that I forgot about the feelings. I've traveled a fair amount, but I always seem to come back to my San Joaquin Valley.
Thanks, Arline

KV said...

This is so very October in many, many ways. Can't wait to see it completed . . .


Kathy V in NM

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

Ooooh, I just love this piece -- what a great October page --